Monday, April 30, 2018

Stamp, B, Week 1

Hello. Welcome to my Elmira College, Term 3 Blog.
My Name is Brian Stamp '18. I'm a business administration major. In addition college I work at an area restaurant an occasionally at my family's winery Lakewood Vineyards. 
Photo credit:Myself




















I'm Currently taking Entertainment, Media, and Sports Marketing: An Experiential Learning Experience with Professor Allyson Wolfe. Over the course of the class, we will tour various organizations, have discussions with marketing staff, and hear from guest speakers. 

The first day of class we learned how to use the blogger.com website with Joe Fahs (Director of Academic Technology and User Services at Elmira College) and discussed what entertainment marketing entails. 

On day 2 we had a Matthew H. Ph.D. as a guest speaker. His lecture about event promotion was enthralling. In addition to his promotion business Matthew owns several commercial properties, 4 Subway restaurants, and a cleaning business franchise. I found his story about clawing himself out of poverty to be very motivational. 

The third day the class was treated to a lecture by Professor John Kelley of Elmira College. Professor Kelley spoke about theatrical performances, as well as the marketing of shows on Broadway. I can't say that I'm a huge fan of theater, but I found his presentation to be very interesting. 

The intellectual property attorney that was scheduled to speak on Thursday had to cancel. I was kind of bummed about that because I was excited to hear his perspective on the current situation involving intellectual property theft in China. 

Our first field trip occurred on Friday when we were able to visit the Clemens Center in Elmira, New York. We were given a tour of the beautiful and historic theater. After touring the dressing rooms and  backstage area, we were able to talk to Karen C. (the Executive Director of the Clemens Center). She lead an in-depth discussion about the challenges of running a non-profit theater and the marketing efforts that it requires. I thought it was particularly interesting that the organization had an issue reaching some of their subscribers because those individuals don't use email.
Photo Credit: MyselfI
Photo Credit: Myself

No comments:

Post a Comment

David K. WEEK 5

Hello everyone! This is my last blog for the course. This class has been filled with so many interesting learning experiences. It really has...